By SK Kapoor
- Second shutdown of US Federal Government began at midnight EST on Saturday , December 22 – continued into January 2019 , until now is going on. It is said to be the longest shutdown in US history in its 30th day.
- President Trump offers immigration compromise to end shutdown.
- But Democrats reject Trump’s bid to negotiate on immigration for his wall.
REASON FOR SHUTDOWN :
The shutdown stemmed from an deadlock over Trump’s demand for $5.7billion in federal funds for a US-MEXICO BORDER WALL. UNITED STATES CONGRESS and PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP could not agree on an appropriations bill to fund the Government for fiscal year 2019.
As, a result Nine Executive Departments with around 8,00,000 employees had to shut down , which around about affects one-fourth of government activities.
- The Shutdown has affected the employees entitlement to paid holiday and many missed their first paychecks since shutdown began.
- White Council of Economic Advisers estimated a economic growth slowdown of 0.13 % points each week.
- Leading economists believe that a further extended shutdown will weak the consumer confidence and can also pose a threat of U.S. economy into recession.
JOHN K. DELANEY TWEETED ,
“It costs between $12-20 million more an HOUR to run government’s during shutdown- it’s MORE expensive to run a closed government.”
REACTIONS AND PROTESTS:
Protests have taken place in the cities of WashingtonD.C. , Philadelphia, and St. Louis, and among others.
Senators and Representatives has started protesting against the shutdown by donating or refusing their salaries.
TRUMP’S OFFER TO END THE SHUTDOWN
U.S. President Donald Trump intends to suggest a wayout to end the government shutdown by saying ,”break the logjam and provide Congress with a path forward to end the government shutdown.”
He also offers to extend the protections for immigrants coming to U.S. as a result of war or natural disasters in their home countries.
But Democrats show dismissal to the Trump’s call of ending the shutdown.
The California Democrat said Trump’s offer is “not a good faith effort” to assist the immigrants and so HOUSE could not pass it.
IT’S SOO SCARY THAT NO ONE KNOWS HOW LONG THE U.S. SHUTDOWN WILL LAST!!!”
Share This Article